Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Wig

ME: Why is it that you are wearing a wig?

MAN WITH WIG: Aren't we all wearing wigs?

ME: No. I'm not wearing a wig. You are, and just you. So, why are you wearing a wig?

MAN WITH WIG: But, aren't clothes a kind of a wig? And you're wearing clothes.

ME: No, clothes are not a kind of a wig. Wigs are, probably, a kind of clothes, maybe. But clothes are not a kind of a wig. So, no, I'm not wearing a wig because I'm wearing clothes. Again, why are you wearing a wig?

MAN WITH WIG: Maybe, in fact, I'm not wearing a wig and you are!

ME: No, because a wig is a wig. And not a wig is not a wig. And that thing on your head is clearly a wig. Why are you wearing it?

MAN WITH WIG: Aren't we all, metaphorically speaking, wearing a wig?

ME: If I allow that we are all, metaphorically speaking, wearing a wig, will you tell me why you are, physically speaking, wearing a wig?

MAN WITH WIG: No.

ME: Then we are not, metaphorically speaking, all wearing wigs.

##

Are we not, metaphorically speaking, unable to blog?

##

There is this now. You can read it.

9 comments:

panoptican said...

Well that was exciting. I wear wigs. I'll tell you why. Because they are a metaphor and if I wear a wig that means I'm wearing a metaphor and we are what we wear so that means I am a metaphor and being a metaphor is quite fun.

The Man Who Couldn't Blog said...

I cannot help but notice that you also have one of those new-fangled "lip-wigs"! Good for you.

It really blends in.

Anonymous said...

I believe that this wig may have been some sort of slime mold. Would you be able to send me a sample?

aome said...

panoptican - i thought the saying was "you are what you eat"

so i would like to eat a metaphor

which i guess means i need a wig and some stout mustard

The Man Who Couldn't Blog said...

I love you people. Really. You're all so weird.

rb said...

omg!

I followed all these links by bloghopping and ended up at the tongue of a honeybee!

scarred for life.... (wandering away muttering)

Anonymous said...

Dear The Man Who Couldn't Blog,

I perused your post (Wig) with much interest as I was looking for ways to buy and sell quality assurance highway construction. Unfortunately your article was not exactly what I was looking for
quality assurance highway construction. But luckily there is a site I have found that allows you to buy and sell anything like quality assurance highway construction on interest free credit and you can pay for your quality assurance highway construction whenever you want. Here's the link one more time: quality assurance highway construction.

Earl Flournoy said...

Well, one thing's for sure: my wife wears wigs. It's not like she treats her synthetic wigs as a metaphor for something. She just wears 'em for the same reason as what other people say when they're asked the same thing. But if you really wanna go deep, then yeah, I think wigs are a metaphor. Our clothes, our words -- they're all metaphors, which meanings depend on our varied perspectives.

Unknown said...

Absolutely hilarious post. truly enjoyed the wigs all the way..

Thanks