Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Meatballs

You know how it is when you get a new blog in the mail, right? Oh, man, it's great. It's great!

And, you leave it in the living room, and you go to work, and you work your full 8 or 9 hours (depending on whether or not you get paid for lunch, but if you're ordering blogs from a catalog, you probably don't get paid for lunch), and you get home, and you just tear into that box. You just tear right into it.

I have a pocket knife. I use the pocket knife when I open boxes all the time. I'm glad I carry a pocket knife.

If you have a pocket knife, and you use it for your keyring (like I do), you probably don't get paid for lunch.

And the cat—or the dog! Hey, you might have a dog!—they have a field day with the packing material, don't they? Sure they do.

Sure they do.

So, you pull out your blog, and take all that fitted styrofoam off, and you open all the little plastic bags, and you pull out the instructions, and you assemble your blog.

You assemble your very own blog!

But, wait. Where's the little allen wrench? Where's your special, only works on this blog allen wrench?

They forgot to pack the allen wrench.

And you can look high and low. You can look everywhere you want. You can search every utility drawer, every tool case, the bottom of every closet. Keep searching. Even though you have one of those allen wrenches somewhere in your home—one of them from one of the other things you've purchased from the same company, one of the other things you've built at home, like that desk, or your entertainment center (man, that's an ugly entertainment center, by the way...look at the size of it!), or whatever—you are never going to find it.

So, you know what you'll do? You'll just leave the pieces of the blog on the floor. And you'll go to work the next day.

You still work at that newspaper, right?

You'll go to work the next day, and the first God damned copy editor who comes up to you and asks you about whatever the hell it is copy editors think about, you're going to punch him in the neck six times.

Six times.

One.

Two.

Three.

Four.

Five.

Six.

And then you're off to the roof, and once on the roof, it's off into the air, and once you're in the air, it's fall, fall, fall.

And once you're falling and nearly to the ground, it's spin, and turn, and shoot back up into the air, and don't stop until you find yourself at a bricks and mortar version of the place where you ordered your blog. And you'll tell them what happened.

And those kind-hearted motherfuckers are going to give you a free plate of meatballs and noodles. God bless them, they are going to make everything all right.

You know how that is, right? That's why I can't blog.

**

Again, thanks to whoever nominated me for a bloggie.

Lots of new people have stopped by in the last couple of days. Welcome. If you decide to vote for me, thanks much. If you vote for someone else, that's fine, too. Do stop by again.

13 comments:

CLAY BANES said...

And their portions are generous.

Matt said...

I totally dig this site and thanks for stopping by mine. And you're on - I will, without a doubt, spend any potential winnings from that contest on music.

alan said...

i just wondered. could the dog have swallowed the allen wrench? i know it's not pleasant trying to get it back if that was the case, but you were so close to having a fully functional blog there.

John said...

I think six times is a bit unfair, don't you?

I mean, more than likely, by punch three he's on the ground. So now you're just beating up a guy who's bleeding on the floor.

Where's the challenge? I mean, I know where the fun is...but the CHALLENGE!

elizabeth said...

stellar blog..you got my vote.

Vera said...

I agree.

Six times is a little too much.

You got my vote too, it really is a mad as blog here.

So much for not being able to blog.

aome said...

I'll send my allen wrench in the mail tomorrow so your blog won't be fragmented and wrenchless on the floor. :)

Anonymous said...

HA HA HA. this blog is amazing, especially for a guy who cannot blog.

Anonymous said...

Hey. I can Blog. Honest. Even though I detest that word. Do I get nominated for a Bloggie?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Thank you very much.

Cello-Rock said...

i'm a big fan of yours!!! keep un-blogging please!!! ur writing style is similar to shel silverstein

Anonymous said...

I want my very own blog!!!

Love your site, by the way.

Dan Schierl said...

i lost an auction on ebay today for a "new" King Diamond t-shirt.

I'm pissed.

Emma said...

Shel Silverstein is the best, but I think you're style is more like Dave Eggers's.