Monday, February 02, 2009

Tongue

I like to interview people. But I don't always get to use all my questions. Sometimes I have leftover questions.

I hate waste.

So here is an unused interview question. In order to not waste, I will ask it to me:

Hey, Mr. Who Couldn't Blog, I have a vacation coming up. Where do you think I should go ?

That's a great question. Have you considered visiting your own tongue? I have to tell you, a number of years ago, my partner (pictured here)and I decided we would go for a nice long vacation, and having never been there before, I suggested maybe we should go to my tongue?

Oh, it was great. We arrived early one morning at the tip of the tongue, got to our hotel (two and a half stars!), checked in, ate the mints on our pillows (there were TWO each!), and went out hiking.

We got a local guide, someone who really knew his way around my tongue. He brought us all around, showed us all the flora and the fauna and such. Showed us the parts that taste the sweet and the sour and all that. My partner (pictured here) and I learned a lot.

On night, after my partner (pictured here) had gone to sleep, I snuck out and took a walk on my tongue on my own. It was probably sort of a dangerous thing to do, to walk around on my own on my tongue, walk around at night with no guide, there in a foreign place. But I left all my money back in the hotel. And I left my shoes there, too. It was a lovely night, a little humid. Stars glowed in the firmament/roof of my mouth. I took a little rest in that long central seam on my tongue. Just leaned back into it and watched the stars spin over head.

Consider that next time you have some time to take some time away.

***

Google image search of the day: fissured tongue

***

I would like to do is call your attention to this really really good post on HTMLGiant by Justin Taylor. It's about George Saunders and is one of my favorite things ever to appear on the site.

Flannery O'Connor comes up in the essay, and here's a nice O'Connor review from BOOKFORUM.

***

You can buy Shane's book Light Boxes now. It's shipping.

Read a section of Light Boxes here.

***




Hot Wire My Heart - Crime

3 comments:

akaoni said...

Is that anything like a Geographic Tongue? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_tongue) It seems somehow appropriate to the topic...

Josh Maday said...

I like this post. I like the idea of sweeping together the leftover questions. Fissured tongue is a fine image without even googling it.

The Man Who Couldn't Blog said...

Thank you, gentlemen.

Geographic tongue seems even more appropriate, akaoni.