Monday, January 26, 2009

Butler

I work at this place that gets deliveries from UPS. The UPS guy always seems to show up at about the same time every day, the time when I'm usually walking down the alley to the cafe to get an Americano or some sort of latte.

I think the UPS guy looks a little like Blake Butler.

I've never seen Blake in person. Only on the internet. There are photos and videos of Blake Butler doing things:

humping a couch

being drunkenly delighted by a smoothie

shaving and repeating himself

painted

etc.

(I have included no links because I would like you to discover them yourself.)

Because the UPS guy sort of looks like Blake Butler, I also think I pretty much know what Blake looks like delivery packages in short brown shorts.

***

On EVER

EVER, Blake's Calamari Press-published novella begins: "From in the light I touched the light."

In the light, the light touches you. You do not need to actively touch the light. The light is there, surrounding you. So, why the need to act to touch the light? Disconnection.

EVER is a book about the body. About being within it. About separating from it. About skin. Boundaries.

The language is tough and slippery. Its targets, though, are constantly moving, so that makes perfect sense.

It's also a book full of brackets. Brackets hold in pieces of equations. They allow for thoughts to exist within thoughts. They allow for more separation.

It's a simple book. Really pure. Really good. Buy it.

***

"Are you just writing nice things about Blake's book because Blake is a friend of yours?"

Umm. Well, sort of. Technically, though, I am a friend of Blake because I admire his writing.

Some people complain about how insular and chummy "literature" can be. Friends just helping friends. Friends promoting friends. Friends looking out for friends.

Bah. Like-minded creative types flock together. We are primarily interested in the success of the like-minded because we are fans. And we are, in some way, interested too in our own success.

And I don't mean just our aesthetic twins. I mean the whole damn family. The extended aesthetic family.

***

I took a nice walk outside. Two, actually. The walks occurred in different time zones.





***

3 comments:

BLAKE BUTLER said...

thanks for the kind words, matt. i agree on the aesthetic convergences thing: it's not in-game, its ex-game. and x-games is games.

sorry i'm tired

anyway, your spotting of me is 2nd this week. earlier josh maday saw me on price is right. i am multiplying. i hope something good happens

DB said...

yes, chumminess, i feel the same way. i become friends with people because i like their writing. i link them on my blog because their writing does something for me. i've heard the phrase "circle jerk" thrown around, but i think it's more than that. it's more like a honeymoon orgy for me.

brandon said...

hello matthew, i like this post