Monday, August 11, 2008

Umlaut



Ryan and I went to Crüefest. Ryan wrote a story about Mötley Crüe, and someone heard him read it, and that someone knew Mötley Crüe's tour manager, and that someone called that tour manager, and that tour manager decided to give Ryan tickets and backstage passes, and Ryan decided to call me and ask if I wanted to go, and I decided I wanted to go.

While at Crüefest, I:

paid $.50 an ounce for beer

watched kids who were on a small stage playing the game Rock Star, while yards away a bunch of real rock stars were on a much larger stage also sort of playing rock star

took photos of Buckcherry's gong—because there's a band? called Buckcherry? and they have a drummer? with a gong?

walked away from my seat before having to listen to Buckcherry

did not take a picture of the girl in the t-shirt that said simply "rock" who was walking around having her picture taken with fans

wondered if she was a representative of all of rock music, the apotheosis of rock come down to slum it among the rock fans; a famous northwest DJ of some sort who worked at a radio station that was not only the home of the rock, but also the favorite rock station of all the rock fans who wanted their picture taken with her; or just someone with breasts that were large enough to fill out the "rock" t-shirt, and large enough that people who went to Crüefest wanted to have their picture taken with those breasts

got a pretty significant contact high, and noticed that the audience used 1) the beginning of Mötley Crüe's set and 2) the opening chords of the song "Dr. Feelgood" as cues to smoke pot...there was steady use throughout the show, but those two moments were accompanied by the largest mass drug use

went backstage and took a photo of Nikki Sixx's Caesar salad and toothbrush

briefly met the stripper who brought Vince Neil his acoustic guitar before they played "Girl Don't Go Away Mad, Girl Just Go Away"

learned that the term "runner" means that members of the band leave the stage and run out the back to their cars to return to their hotels immediately

learned that Mötley Crüe does not often have a full-band "runner" after a gig, but for some reason, did so after playing at the White River Ampitheatre

pardon me, briefly met the "dancer" who brought Vince Neil his etc, etc.

got a packet of "souvenir" spearmint flavored Stride gum

wondered how I could ever go about blogging about all this, and decided that maybe I just shouldn't so maybe I won't

4 comments:

Erica said...

Hörräy! Thänk yöü!

You röck.

Anonymous said...

Interesting, thanks!

I went to see the Cure in Atlanta a couple months ago (my wife's choice, not that it matters...) and while I'd be lying to say I caught much of a contact buzz but I was surprised to smell LOTS of weed smoke. Who knew? The Cure? Maybe just grass is more popular than ever.

The Man Who Couldn't Blog said...

In the spirit of Beatallica I think someone should start a band called Mötley Cüre.

Caterpillar Girls, Girls, Girls.

Looks That Kill an Arab.

Ross White said...

I saw Motley Crue in 1989 with Warrant opening for them. This was the tour where Tommy's drum kit was lifted to the ceiling and came out over the fans while he did his 21-minute solo. (I was a little bummed, since the previous tour was the one where he was being rotated while drumming.)

This blog entry brought all those memories back and somehow made them better.