Monday, July 28, 2008

Xasthur

This is Xasthur.



Xasthur is a one-man Black Metal band. The man who makes all the music calls himself Malefic.

I can be sure of none of what follows, but I will swear to its accuracy if pressed.

Malefic's concerns are not so much Satanic as they are astral. Malefic spends his time pushing his consciousness out, not considering the limits of human freedom and will.

Because of this, Malefic spends 19 or 20 hours a day asleep. Or nearly asleep. In that mental space between consciousness and unconsciousness is where Malefic spends his time searching.

Malefic owns a house, but he spends all of his time in the basement. His bed is down there. He has a small bookshelf down there. Upstairs, a thin layer of dust covers everything. He has never been to the second floor of his home. Not once. He can't remember where the stairs are. He has forgotten how many rooms are up there.

Because Malefic spends so much of his time asleep, or nearly asleep, he must rely on others to create his music. In his basement, he has a host of tiny, green creatures. The tiny green creatures live only to create music. It is their evolutionary imperative. They live on blast beats and droning, hypnotic guitar riffs. They live on washes of reverb and delay.

In a way, they are like a Black Metal making equivalent of the Doozers from Fraggle Rock. Seriously.

They look a little like this:



So, Malefic sleeps. And the creatures make music. And as he sleeps, the creatures keep a microphone next to him. And in his sleep, as he travels the outer limits of his brain, and searches for a crack in the barrier between his brain, and the massive, possible "world brain," he sings.

This is how Xasthur records are made.

Maybe.

I'll keep looking into it. Maybe I'll be able to blog if I figure it all out.

***

Also, holy fuck I loved these guys.

***

Shit shit shit. I forgot to talk about NO COLONY. Blake Butler and Ken Baumann have a journal called NO COLONY. Here is a list of contributors to issue 001.

I'm in it. But a lot of other really fantastic writers are in it, too. I would list some favorites, but I really like things I've read by everyone on the list, so I won't single anyone out.

Jereme Dean is giving away copies at his blog to people who comment. It's a contest. Comment well, and he'll give you one. He has six extra copies—I bought three for him for the giveaway. Go comment. Get copies of NO COLONY.

***

Another little update:

I'm at Titular Journal.

5 comments:

BLAKE BUTLER said...

Malefic sounds like the man of men


NOU, yes. Ian Svenonius is a wild man, I had a bruise on my shoulder for about 2 weeks after the first time I saw the Make*Up from him digging his nails into my back while he crawled across the audience

I miss that shit

'real talk'

jereme said...

hey, any one who mentions fraggle rock dozers is good in my limited book of 2 pages.

i will update my blog and profess my cosmic man love for you

Anonymous said...

thank you for contributing to jereme's cause

Anonymous said...

for a man who can't blog there is a fuckload of blogging going on here.

i dig it.

that's my comment.

( oh, and ps. I'm pretty sure the word "donate" is another plot to pull the birds. you guys are tireless!
HA! :)

zo

Dimaension X said...

I can't explain the attraction of this kind of music -

I'm in my mid-40's, married for twenty years+ with a kid in college, normal "white-collar" job, etc...

It's an escape-from-reality thing, I guess. Same with the music I create, too.