Friday, October 07, 2005

Window

So, that's the way that went down. I mean, I possibly could've handled the whole thing a lot better, but at the time, it just never occurred to do so. And there it was.

But, we were talking about you before I started that story, so why don't we get back to it, eh? You were saying that in all the years you've lived here you've never once gone on the underground tour of Denton, yes? I have. Many times, in fact. It's one of my favorite things to do when relatives visit. I get them in their warmest jackets, because the ambient temperature in the underground is at least 20 degrees colder than it is on the surface, and we go to the entrance, usually in their car. I don't have a car. I've never really been able to handle the upkeep of a car, you see. It's always a leak here, a seal broken there, etc.

I suppose when a seal breaks you get a leak and that was redundant. But, maybe not. Not car savvy, me. Said that.

But, yes, we like to go on the Denton underground tour. Or, I do. So, I often get my family together, in their warmest jackets because it's so cold.

I've said that, haven't I? I repeat myself sometimes.

And, the tour always makes them interested in the history of Denton, you know? It's a nice town, Denton, and has a very curious history. How many other small towns do you know with such an extensive series of tunnels beneath them, eh? Not many. Almost none. This one and probably no others. I'll bet. I'll bet there are no others. Not one.

This town is unique in that way.

I hate it when people talk about things being very unique, because there are no degrees of uniqueness, you know? Unique or not. That's it. One or the other. Some people don't think before they speak. They just say things and they come out all wrong like that. Frustrates me sometimes, that does.

But, then, I guess it's not for me to say. It's not for me to criticize. People sometimes can't help it when they say things like they do because—I think—some phrases are like viruses that you catch. And it's hard to turn them loose. We speak in these familiar little turns of phrase because it's the easiest way to communicate or something. That's what I think.

Bacteria? Is it more like a virus or a bacteria? That junkie writer, whatever his name was, he called language a virus. But I think he may have meant it literally.

I heard some singer once say he caught phrases like people catch colds.

That happens. It happens to me all the time. I can't help it. Something gets stuck and I think it over and over and over. Sort of like telling someone to not think about elephants and that's the first thing they think of. Right? Try it. Don't, whatever you do, think about an elephant.

See? Did you?

Huh. You know, maybe you didn't, though. I guess I've always just taken it for granted that people do that. They think of elephants when you tell them not to, but how do you prove a thing like that? You don't. You can't.

Nope.

I like the part of the tour when you're under the mayor's house and they tell you that story about the way every mayor in the history of Denton has, three years into his term, been thrown from his office window. All of them! Can you believe that? Can you? Defenestration, they call that. Being thrown out a window is called defenestration. They always start by telling you the thing that's exactly the same about Denton and Prague is that in both cities defenestration is the preferred method of political assassination. And they point to the spots where, on the opposite side of the concrete, each mayor hit. They have them outlined in chalk. Like they'd have them on the sidewalk if you were up top instead of down below. Right?

That's he part of the tour I like best. And the part of Denton's history I like best.

Blog? No, I don't really think I could. I don't think I have enough to say.

2 comments:

Tao Lin said...

i think i talked to the monkeybicycle's first editor tonight at the KGB bar and i said 'what is that' and i pointed at his drink and he said i don't remember exactly what he said but he pointed at a drink and said 'what is that' and i said 'that is not mine' and he pointed at my banana peel and i said 'that is a banana peel' and he said something about the alcohol content of my banana peel and i said something and sometime in all this i asked him about monkeybicycle and he said something about you and then someone came over and said some things and i said 'i only read poetry at readings' and she said 'why' and i said something about fiction being boring and someone said something about tact and i said that i didn't mean tonight (because three fiction readers had just read) and i think i left the banana peel there and i feel bad for that and i guess everyone will know i left it there since the peel was yellow and everyone could see it like a glowing thing in the bar because the bar is red

aome said...

posts that get me like this are the reason i keep coming back to this blog :)

and "moon fruit"? that's the coolest thing i've ever heard, ashleycrow!