Friday, August 12, 2005

Wrong

I was going to try to blog, but I realized that there is something fundamentally wrong. There is something fundamentally wrong with the way I write sentences. I am writing my sentences all wrong, and it's happening at a structural level. Right off the bat. Before I even begin to write the sentences I would write in order to blog, there is something wrong.

My writing is wrong.

And, you can't see it. That's the tricky part. It's not anything to do with my rather pedestrian syntax. My sentence fragments. What's wrong with my sentences? It can't be parsed. Not by a grammarian. It can't be judged by a critic. Or any reader, really.

The thing that's wrong with my sentences is buried so deep, it's a secret to everyone but me.

This makes sense—in a way. You're reading this, and it makes sense. I think it makes sense.

But, it also makes no sense at all on a fundamental level. But, you don't notice the part that doesn't make sense, because it is happening before this is typed out.

It's like, Borges said he didn't like sans serif fonts. They were stripped down. The architecture of each letter was ugly because it was unadorned. It's like that.

Or, wait. No it's not.

Or, maybe.

I just don't know.

I just know that because everything is completely wrong and fucked up before it even begins, I can't blog.

9 comments:

Tao Lin said...

damn...

Anonymous said...

I didn't know Borges said that.

The Man Who Couldn't Blog said...

That's a photo of Sarah Strickley, a student at the University of Iowa Writer's Workshop. You used google images to find it. It's from the Barcelona Review.

Does Sarah Strickley know you're pretending to be her? And the Reader of Depressing Books?

The Man Who Couldn't Blog said...

Hmph.

Well, aren't we a whimsical little pest.

Tao Lin said...

i am not that other person

why the fuck does blogger allow two people to have the same registered name; and the same e-mail and the same 'web site' in the profile

i blame blogger for this

The Man Who Couldn't Blog said...

Who? I think The Reader has already done so.

The Man Who Couldn't Blog said...

You remain odd. And you remain cryptic. What precisely are you, phony RODB, suggesting?

And, if he's not him, am I not who I am? Who am I?

KOM said...

I knew something was wrong. But since you can't blog, I haven't been able to put my finger on it.

alan said...

Borges said damn?