Monday, March 23, 2009

Better

I heard this song this morning. I woke up early to get to work. Last night, a little gin, some sort of cocktail with vermouth and cassis, a little white wine, a couple of beers. Long, large dinner with friends. So this morning, a little tired.

As you might expect.

A little blurry and all that. Got up early to walk to work. Shades all drawn. Got up and went to the bathroom for one's early morning bathroom things.

There's a little clock radio in the bathroom. One small speaker on the clock radio. High ceilings in the bathroom. Large mirror. Towels on the rack. My eyes were still blurry and getting used to the lights.

The paint in the bathroom is, what? Eggshell. So are the towels. The tiles in the shower. The tub and the toilet a little darker. Not bright, but brighter than a little gin, some sort of cocktail with vermouth and cassis, a little white wine, and a couple of beers. A little brighter than that.

Mostly, then, eyes closed. Eyes half-open.

And my ears, too, a little unprepared for the day.

Tiny speaker, high ceilings, ears unprepared for the day. All that. And the song sounded like it was happening at the other end of a long hallway. Or the opposite corner of a church. It sounded warm and far away.

And man did I like it.

I found it a couple of hours ago and listened to it.

And it's good and all. But it's absolutely not the same.

This is what I'd like. I'd like to have a switch on the back of my head. Or a switch behind one of my ears—the right one, maybe. A switch and a dial. And I want that switch and that dial to allow me to add reverb to things that I am listening to.

I think this is a fine, fine idea. I think this is also much more cost-effective than being continually in the process of preparing myself for my morning with a little gin, some sort of cocktail with vermouth and cassis, a little white wine, and a couple of beers.

Let's all get on this, okay? Okay?

Call me or shoot me an email when you have this ready.

***

The Hype Machine found that song on a website called Mission Freak.

Mission Freak is about "music and life" in Iowa City.

Hi Iowa City. I miss you. Your festival looks like lots of fun.

Send my love to Liberty Leg.

***

Suitor returns next week.

2 comments:

akaoni said...

It's funny, you're more in touch with the IC music scene than I am...must be Coralville's infulence.

Also, we miss you here in IC as well.

----------------------------- said...

Great song, I'll follow your blog now!