Monday, October 06, 2008

Television

The drug of the nation. Breeding ignorance. Feeding radiation.

—Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy

Or something like that. Or maybe not. I'm not much for this blogging. It's hard. And too hard, too. I've been thinking maybe what I should do instead is start my own pirate television broadcast.

And use that pirate television broadcast to get my message out there to the people. My message. My important message. My highly important, very personal message. That one.

That's the one I want to get "out there." And I'm thinking television is the way to go to get it out there.

So I'm thinking of investing in some technology that will allow me to do something other than all the "not blogging" I do all the long day long. I'm investing in some other technology.

Some mechanical television.

Mechanical television is better than all that other television that you are used to because mechanical television uses a wheel. Wheels are a very early, very successful piece of technology. The wheel is one of the first pieces of technology. And it's still around, even though it was invented by some sort of caveman guy (or girl!), or maybe some sort of angel.

It's still around, which means it must be good. Only good things hang around for a long long time. Good things like the wheel. And bipedal movement. And inside the body skeletons instead of outside the body shells for big creatures like us.

That's why I'm going with mechanical television. It's older and better and wheeled.

It also has poor reproduction. It calls attention to the fact that it is reproduction. It does not pretend to be anything other than an illusion.

All this television we have now is so clear and lifelike, it competes too successfully with reality. That's what I think. We need less definition on television, not more. Less. More definition on television will only lead to one thing: people falling in love with the people on television. And this is not a good thing.

So mechanical television, with its poor reproduction of the image it is reproducing is the way to keep people from falling in love with the people on the television. That is to say, once I figure out how to get my mechanical television pirate broadcasts up and running, the image of me that you see on the screen will be of such reduced quality, it will be unlikely that you will fall in love with me, ruining the whole point of the broadcasts, which will be to make you think about stuff, not to make you in love with me.

Which would make me uncomfortable and unable to continue broadcasting ideas that could possibly cause you to think.

Good for me to do that, I think.

***

mechanical television





***

I'm in the new No Posit.

***

The Neil Diamond Disease by Jason Boog.

***

HTMLGiant is going strong.

***

I am reading at the Richard Hugo House tomorrow (Tuesday) night at 7pm. If you are in Seattle, you can attend. It will be very nice. Here is the Hugo House description:

"Seattle magazine celebrates local writers and artists on the rise!
Innovative writers showcased in the October literary issue, including Stacey Levine, Brian McGuigan, Richard Farr and Matthew Simmons, will be joined by the Spotlight Award Winners featured in our September issue: filmmaker Lynn Shelton, sculptor Diem Chau, cellist Paul Rucker, performance artist Lucia Neare and choreographer Zoe Scofield. The theme of the evening is "debate," so writers and artists will face off with presidential flair! (Better yet, they'll give us their artistic take on debate.) Arts & Culture editor Brangien Davis will moderate, Paul Rucker will provide musical interludes and audience members will have their own chance to participate in a spirited debate."

***

I'm pessimistic.

***

UPDATE:

The Primeval Stomp. Explanation maybe next week.

1 comment:

Shya said...

Nothing will prevent people from falling in love with you, Matthew. When are you going to learn that?