Monday, June 02, 2008

Reviews

Today I will review things. I don't usually do that here.

I don't usually do anything here. I can't blog.

But today I will make a concerted effort to do so. So I can do some reviews.

First, I'd like to review this:



I think it's great that the lead singer of Iron Maiden got his pilot's license and might someday be the guy who gets on the intercom and says: "Well, folks. We're going to be stuck on the tarmac for another hour. While we wait, I'm going to sing a little 'Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter.'"

***

Next, I would like to review Mason and Dixon and Gravity's Rainbow by Chris Killen and Shane Jones.

In the book, a haiku dreams about one day becoming a an epic novel. It is, metonyminously speaking, the book itself.

That's not a dig. The book does not try to be something it's not. It is a series of beautiful little short pieces. And they, fundamentally, tiny wonders that in their secret depth, aspire to something larger. Hence, the names of the book. Short poems as grand, epic novels.

In other words, great work guys.

***

Last night, I went to see Caroliner at a little place in Seattle. Here's a review that:

Seeing Caroliner was exactly like seeing every band I have ever seen live, and every painting I have ever looked at, and every film I have ever watched, all at once. In a tiny room. With a bunch of people watching, too.

A while back, I reviewed the movie Old Joy for Hobart's blog.

I don't think I did much of a job as a blog-centered reviewer. I apologize. I'll try again, maybe someday. I'll practice. And then maybe I'll review. And blog.

No comments: