Thursday, March 30, 2006

Scent

I have a brand new project that will keep me away from blogging. I've decided to meet every dog in the city of Seattle.

There's this dog named Owen who I've met. I see him, sometimes, being taken for a walk. I don't know his humans, but I know Owen.

Every time I see Owen being taken for a walk by his humans, I want to shout, "Hey, Owen!" I want to shout that as I ride by on my bike.

"Hey, Owen!" I want to do this because I think maybe he'd wave. Or, acknowledge me in some way. I want to shout.

But, I don't. I think it would confuse his humans.

Anyway, so I'm going to meet every dog in town. I go out to the lake. I walk around the lake, and I wait for a dog to walk towards me. A dog and its humans. I walk by them, and I get really near. They are talking to each other, or, if they are alone, they are talking on a cell phone. But they are never talking to the dog.

I walk very close to the dog and I stick out my hand. I get very close. But, I don't touch the dog, or bump the humans. I just put my hand right next to the dog's nose. And the dog always does the same thing. The dog strains its neck to meet my hand. It sniffs my hand.

It meets me.

And then it is pulled back to heel, and off the dog and the humans go. Around the lake. One more time around the lake.

I turn around sometimes, and walk the opposite way so I can get the dogs going the other direction.

In this way I am trying to meet every dog in town.

It's a long project. So, I can't blog.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure every dog in town wants to meet you?

The Man Who Couldn't Blog said...

They all seem to strain their necks...

I would at least like to make the effort.

Besides, I smell strongly of liver, because of a botched operation.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could meet more dogs, but I'm too busy blogging. *sigh*

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Man Who Couldn't Blog said...

I believe you did.