Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Influence

In the middle of Kansas, there's this place called The Garden of Eden. It's in Lucas, Kansas. The town has a population under 500 people.

A man named S.P Dinsmoor built a bunch of concrete sculptures around his cabin. He did it in 1888. He did it because he felt like he had things to say about religion and politics and this was the way to do it. He did it because he wanted people to stop and look.

I like people like that. Obsessed outsiders with something to say but imprecise ways of saying it. Grotto builders. Tower builders. Prophets with a little bit of P.T. Barnum in them.

My friend Dan and I took a trip to the Garden of Eden. Here's photographic proof.



At the time, Dan had a zine called Blipvert. He produced an issue about our trip. I helped. It was the sixth issue of the zine.

The old digital files are gone, but Dan kindly scanned the issue. I will be printing a copy or two, and adding them to the pinball contest prizes.

In the issue:

The Garden of Eden
my old band, the nurses
ducks and decorated sheds
the movie WAX: or the discovery of television among the bees
the Dickeyville Grotto
a song about a skinhead who moved to Arizona

***

Getting ready for my trip to Ann Arbor. So I'm updating on a Tuesday.

That happens. Tuesday updates happen. It's okay.

Seven entries in the pinball contest so far. Here's an example so you can get a sense of the scoring.



That's Gene Morgan's son playing Wheel of Fortune pinball. One point for entering—everyone gets that. One point for the camp value of the machine. One point for getting a child into a bar. Three points total. Pretty good.

The lottery will run like this: Gene's name will be in the pot three times.

See?

John Synco sent me an mp3 of himself and a friend playing Lonnie Irving's "Pinball Machine." It's rad and he's getting a bunch of points for it. He even did the spoken word opening. For the record, John Synco rules. Recognize.

***

A Jello Horse is on Goodreads. If you're into that sort of thing. (I am.)

How the book became a book here.

1 comment:

DG Beat said...

I'm glad you liked the song.