Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Bridge

I came home with a blog. And my mom, she said, "What's that?"

And I told her it was a blog.

And she said, "Why do you want to go and have one of those for?"

And I told her it was cool, that all my friends, they had blogs, too. Everyone my age had a blog.

And she said that thing—you know what I mean. She said that thing moms are supposed to say. She said, "Well, if everyone your age jumped off a..."

I don't even know if I can finish it. It's so...you know. It's just so...

Okay, so she said, "Well, if everyone your age jumped off a bridge, would you?"

And I said maybe. Kind of to maybe freak her out.

And she, then, got sort of quiet. She looked at me, and then at my stepdad.

"Really?" she asked.

And I said maybe again.

And she sort of nodded, and said, "Huh," real quiet-like.

Then my stepdad told me to go to my room. I went to my room.

At school the next day, I found a printout in my bookbag. It said teen suicide by bridge jumping was up. On the page, there was a little red "FYI!" in my mom's handwriting. And a smiley face.

And it was true. Next thing you knew, all the kids in my age group were throwing themselves off of bridges, and my mom, she was finding citations, and leaving them taped to my door.

At breakfast should would look at me (all disgusted) and say, "All the other kids are jumping off of bridges. Why the hell won't you?"

But, I wouldn't do it then, and I won't do it now, and I'll never do it. You hear me, Mom? I won't do it! Stop calling me.

I completely forgot about the blog.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So did she let you keep the blog then?

Cello-Rock said...

it is meaningful...

Matt said...

really, must say again - I love your writing. good stuff.

Dave said...

Brilliant! (Your mom, I mean.)

Anonymous said...

yer good. I'm a Mom. I forwarded it to all my children. They told me to jump.

alan said...

i once saw someone throw a blog off a bridge. i tried to catch it, and was planning to post it to you, but a sudden gust of wind caught it and carried it out to sea. if i ever find it washed up on the shore i'll dry it out and send it on, but the chances are slim.

gareeb said...

I'm glad you got nominated. Else, I'd never have found this blog.

Ruth said...

Maybe other nominees could give you some helpful hints. I really like you writing tho, you dont need any changes here.

Colette said...

Oh my goddess you've got me laughing so hard I am almost pissing my panties...

Great writing - you rock!

I am linking to you you right now - with or with or without your mum's permission...