Thursday, August 18, 2005

Moon/Tree

In 1971, a former smoke jumper named Stuart Roosa arrived at the moon. He didn't get to go down to the surface. He stayed on the ship. He waited for two others to come back. With him, he had a cannister filled with seeds.

The seeds were tree seeds. They went to the moon.

They orbited the moon, in a little metal cannister, and never got to look out the window.

But, trees don't have eyes, and tree seeds certainly don't have eyes. So, it didn't really matter.

The tree seeds came back. They were germinated, and sent around the country. And people forgot to write down where they all went.

Of the hundreds sent out, only fifty or so are known.

Of the others, I am one. I'm a Douglas Fir in a national park. People walk by me all the time and never know I've been to the moon.

And I can't blog. I'm a moon tree, an unknown moon tree, and moon trees don't know how to blog.

I'm sorry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was totally going to blog today, but it was the first day of classes and I just didn't get around to it.

Tao Lin said...

i feel so sad, as if some injustice has occured in the world

yet, this isn't stuart roosa's fault, it isn't the moon's fault, it isn't my fault

whose fault, then?

maybe it is stuart roosa's fault...

panoptican said...

Classic TMWCB is definitely better than the new stuff he puts out. Don't even tell me about anything after 2006.